Thursday, August 23, 2012

Toilet Paper Roll Art!!


Taaa-daaa!! Toilet paper roll art! Here's how to make it:

Things you'll need:
- lots and lots and LOTS of empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls
- scissors
- hot glue gun
- spray paint
(this project is super cheap to make! I got the spray paint at Lowe's for 99 cents a can!)

Step 1: Collect empty rolls. You're gonna need a sh*t ton. This process will probably take you awhile to collect enough. Ask your friends to save you their empty rolls!

Step 2: Flatten the rolls, and then use a ruler to mark off one inch segments (or whatever size you want - one inch just seemed easiest to me). The cut along your lines.
Step 3: Start hot gluing the pieces together,
And make a flower shape for the center:

Step 4: Keep adding pieces to the spaces around the flower.
And adding
 And adding
I started out with this shape, but then I decided I wanted to fill it all in so it was more of a circle
Anyways, long story short, I got entirely carried away and kept adding and adding pieces trying to make it a perfectly symmetrical circle. (I'm nuts, I know). Feel free to make this on a much smaller scale. I finally had to stop myself when the darn thing measured at least 40" in diameter all the way around.....

Step 5: Time for spray painting! You'll also need a lot of spray paint (depending on how large you make it, obviously. But also because the rolls are absorbent.) It took me 4 cans. I did it in flat black because I was going for sort of an iron look....

I hung it up over my bed by hammering a bunch of small nails into the wall and then just kind of sitting it on the nails.... it's holding so far! ;)

Happy crafting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers